So, I caved. As far as reading this book, I was completely and utterly convinced it was going to be another "Twilight", which had enough angst in it to last me about 10 years. However, my friends were persistant in having me read this book, so I checked it out from the library. That's when I learned; My friends were right. This is now defietly on my radar, and I keep stopping myself from reading all the plot on wikipedia, it's just that good.
Marked sets up an interesting story, with vampyres (their spelling not mine)being a large prt of everyday life. Vampyres dominate Hollywood and are known for their talent in the Arts, as well as having a lot of money to go with it. Now, there are types of vampyres, one of which is called a Tracker. The Tracker will Mark possible vampyre initiates with a sapphire cresent moon outline upon their forehead. This Mark fills in when a human changes into a vampyre, and other sapphire tattoos appear on the vampyre's face, these tattoos change depending on a vampyre's personality. Now, when a human is Marked, they get violently sick and have to go to a House of Night, vampyre school, or they die. The vampyre school will teach the changing fledgling (as they're called) about vampyres in classes such as Vampire Soc., Equestrian training, fencing classes, Drama, etc. The setback to this changing process is that it can spell death for those not strong enough. The body will reject the change and the fledgling can die a gruesome death. Talk about a school on edge.
*Possible Spoiler Alert, I'm talking about some of the plot*
Here enters the heroine of the story, Zoey. Zoey's mother divorced her father and remarried to a religious fanatic who believes that vampyres are evil, that his wife should submit to his will with no arguent, and that anyone who's not a part of his religion is evil. Have I mentioned I really hate this character? No? Consider it mentioned. So after Zoey's Marked her familiy decides that the answer to the problem is to call in the family therapist and church prayer tree. Zoey quickly runs away to visit her Grandma before escaping to the House of Night. Upon arrival to her Grandma's house, Zoey runs into the spirits of her Cherokee ansestors, and then the vampyre goddess herself, Nyx. Nyx blesses Zoey and declares her to be her eyes and ears in a new world just before Zoey blacks out. Zoey reawakens in the House of Night with a filled in Mark on her forehead and her grandmother at her side. She then is introduced to a High Priestess of Nyx, who becomes her mentor in order to protect Zoe for her grandmother. And this is only the beginning of this book.
*Spoiler over*
I rate this book a solid 4. Marked has an engaging plot that sucks you into the world of Night and doesn't let you go. The authors masterfully laid hints to the upcoming books to the point that I can't wait to get back to school and find the second book, which is saying something. Oh, and sorry for the lack of links today, my computer's being pokey.
If you have any questions, comments, or book review requests, let me know in the comments below and I will get back to you asap!

told you you'd love it :)
ReplyDeleteYeah, yeah, yeah. Rub it in all you want. :P And yes, I'm still tempted to wikipedia the series since you're so very tight lipped about what's going on.
ReplyDeleteWARNING: Never read a series out of order, you'll be lost and your friends will give you a lot of grief over it.
For Anyone Who is Interested:
Zibby has created her own book review blog, it's address is www.zibzblog.blogspot.com, check it out!