Friday, October 23, 2009

The Mists of Avalon

The Mists of Avalon has been reviewed as an either you completely love this book, or you will hate it with every fiber of your being. It's about the women behind the legendary King Arthur's throne, his mother Igraine begins as the first character you meet. Then, Morgaine, Arthur's sister, Viviane, the Lady of the Lake, Nimue, a priestess of Avalon, Morgause, Arthur's aunt and Queen of Lothlian, and Gwenhwyfar, Arthur's wife all tell his story. While mostly the story is told of Morgaine's perspective, every once and a while it will switch perspectives to give a more clear and detailed version of the story. All the details of Arthur's story is there, but the journey to the different details is completely different.

My take? Loved this book. Completely awesome. Then again, I've loved King Arthur's story since I was little. Morgan Le Fey has always been painted as the bad sorceress but I've always had the nagging question at the back of my mind is "Why?" This story masterfully paints a whole new story within the threads of all other King Arthur stories, combining all ideas into a story so real that I almost piched myself a couple times trying to make sure I remembered it was fiction, that if I walked into mist, I wasn't going to spirited away to Avalon. This book just begs to be taken off the shelf and read, it's story seems to go off the page and honestly, I have problems reading anything about King Arthur and how evil Morgan is. I just can't think that simply anymore, all I think of is how? Why?

I rate this book a 5 for it's intricate details, fantastic visual power, and ideas that last beyond the pages. Can't live without it on my shelves anymore!!


This book was also transfered into a TNT miniseries, though I haven't quite watched all of them yet, it does seem pretty awesome. Link to watch the series on tnt is here.

Mood: Still Tired >.<
What I'm listening to: Sweet Dreams are Made of This by the Eurythmics

8 comments:

  1. Nice job! What is the Mood and Music at the bottom?

    I think you could have some good discussions with fellow readers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your review of this book really made me feel like I wanted to read it even though I know nothing about King Arthur and never have had an interest. The review left me wondering more about the complexities of Morgan especially.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good review! I've recently re-read this one & I still like it a lot. The movie/mini-series is pretty good, too.
    You gonna review some of the 'other' Avalon books?

    ReplyDelete
  4. When you've finished the mini-series, let me know. I'm curious of your opinion of it. While I definitely enjoyed the book, I found I didn't like the mini-series as much.

    Kailey

    ReplyDelete
  5. ONE WORD GREAT!! YOU ALEAYS DO GREAT WORK SEV

    ReplyDelete
  6. What would you say is the mood through out the whole book?
    and great job

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree - this is a fantastic novel. I've always enjoyed the 'other points of view' that Ms. Bradley brought to the story.

    How would you compare this telling to, for example, The Sword in the Stone, or other Arthurian tales?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow. Lots of comments to sort through. Alright I'll go up the list in order then.
    @ Bill: The Sword in the Stone and some of the other tales told of King Arthur are, and I hate to use this word, far to predictable and a bit repetitive. Most King Arthur books now say all the same things with very little individuality, though there are some with more original and creative stories that I do like. However most of these books don't go into depth nearly as much as The Mists of Avalon. I actually tried reading another King Arthur book recently and couldn't read it. Too predictable, too shallow, and too drawn out. The Mists of Avalon, for me anyway, was also a very feminine book, it was aimed for a female audience and most Arthurian books are not. Forgive me if I'm not making much sense, being sick does that to me :D
    @ Taylor The mood throught the book would have to be more like a saying, it's useless trying to protect, you will only destroy. If you read the book, you'll definetly see what I'm saying, it's hard to explain it without giving it all away.
    @ p.strib Thanks!
    @ Kailey, will do, I've heard that opinion a lot though, so I'm not sure if I should be watching it :) But the casting looks fantastic.
    @ Rita, I hope to, though I have a large and winding list of books I apparently need to read and review ;)
    @ tosland, I would love to go into more of Morgaine's character but I feel as though I'll botch it! Morgaine is one of my newly favorite heroines, although I'm not sure you'd consider her one with all that she's done. Anyway, reading the book can explain her character much more than me, I do suggest it. Although, it will plunge you straight into the world of King Arthur and you might be a bit overwhelmed by it. Admittedly, I used wikipedia a lot when reading Mists, I guess I kinda cheated :P
    @Science619, The mood and music is just something random I found on other blogs so I threw it in. It seemed fun!
    @ anyone reading this, well I think I'm done with answering the comments and I hope I answered all your questions. If I did not, comment again and I'll try and get back to you! Thanks for checking my blog out!

    ReplyDelete