Thursday, July 22, 2010

Storm Front: A Novel of the Dresden Files

Storm Front, by Jim Butcher, is the beginning of a wonderful series (that I still haven't read the last of so no spoilers!!!) that has now begun to climb up on my all time favorite series list. I also just found out that the audio tape of this book was narrated by James Marsters, more commonly known as Spike from Buffy the Vampire Slayer, which is too perfect if you ask me. Okay, enough with the fun facts, here's the premise;

"Storm Front is Jim Butcher's first novel and introduces his popular character- Harry Dresden, wizard for hire. For his first case, Harry is called in to consult on a grisly double murder committed with the blackest of magic. At first, the less-than-solvent Harry's eyes light up with dollar signs. But where there's black magic, there's a black mage. Now, that black mage knows Harry's name. And things are about to get very... interesting."

As a series that starts out fast and hits the ground running, getting better and better as time goes on. Including faeries that are actually cool, vampires that don't glitter, werewolves who are actually werewolves and not shapeshifters, and a talking skull, this series enchanted me within the first few pages. Harry's dry commentary and wit is a fantastic way to get this story told especially considering his own interesting past times with dark magic, but that's something that you'll have to learn more about on your own. :D
I'd rate this book a 4, only because I know how good this series gets as time goes on. The characters are funny and everything comes together for a clean and throughly enjoyable story, and I reccomend it to all who loved any and all of Joss Whedon's tv series, as well as anyone who'd enjoy a nice and dark fantasy that'll make you want to curl under the covers...
The mood I'm in (because I forgot it last time): Annoyed with my dog. Again. *sigh*
Music I'm listening to: Goin' Back to Hogwarts from a Very Potter Musical is stuck in my head, and if you haven't watched the youtube videos, you're missing out!!!

4 comments:

  1. Hey Serenity, first off - sounds like a REALLY good book! would i possibly, maybe be able to borrow it??? next, "vampires that don't sparkle and werewolves that are actually werewolves?" will your Twilight slamming never end?!?! in Hardeson's words - we are going to have a STRONG talk about this later! :P lol (geek power, baby!)haha, well, it sounds good, i'll put it on my reading list!

    love ya!
    ~zib

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to let you borrow it, but it's a book that I borrowed! It should be easy to find in the library though, it's a very popular series.

    And no, the bashing will not end. Not until people actually let us forget about it.

    Go leverage!! Age of the Geek!

    ReplyDelete
  3. okay i'll get it from the library, then! :D well, just because other people aren't forgetting about it doesn't me you can't! or maybe you should realize the error of your ways and actually LIKE it again! :P lol

    Geek power, baby, we RULE THE WORLD! hehe

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh please. Don't start with me on this, we've already filled my wall with our argument on this a while ago, let's not do it on my blog!!!

    Course we rule the world. People just haven't realised it yet... ;)

    ReplyDelete